Spacebats

The thoughts, random or otherwise, of Mark and Heidi Thomas. Sometimes possibly Caleb and Elodie, depending on how much sense they are making.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Doctor Who wusses out

When I discovered they were planning an episode focussed on the devil in this season's run, I was curious to know what would happen. Well, sadly disappointed but not surprised was the final verdict after Saturday's episode of Doctor Who. If you haven't yet watched it and plan to, read no further, as I will spoil the plot.

So we had what appeared to be the devil threatening the existence of the universe by trying to break out of the prison it had been put into eons earlier, and the Doctor coming face to face with the possibility that spiritual beliefs/superstitions might actually exist in reality. Unable to rationalize this as a scientist (which, by the way, he hasn't really been all that much since the new series re-started last year), he uses logic and faith in humans (specifically, Rose) to defeat the monster, and together they sort everything out and help most of the rest of the cast live happily ever after. And in the final shots, in the TARDIS, we discover that the Doctor's inability to accept what he can't explain leads him to simply put it out of his mind. This is beyond me, and anyway human life is better, so it doesn't matter/can't even possibly be worth considering. Humanism proudly displayed for all those 8-year-olds with no spiritual input to speak of to lap up without realising that's what it is.

I guess it's easy to see the Devil as something to be defeated, but what if the Doctor were to discover God, with all the great qualities of humans magnified to the nth degree, and more on top? What would he make of that? The other thing that this series is showing again and again, though, is that Tennant's Doctor clearly considers himself the end of the line when it comes to moral questions and what to do about evil: he basically thinks he is God, and so if he has found the Devil on an asteroid (which, of course, it can't actually be, because only God can ultimately defeat Satan), then this challenges his position as the all-powerful Doctor, cos surely God exists somewhere if Satan does.

Like I say, I wasn't surprised that this was the conclusion come to by producer Russell T Davies and his writers, as it is so totally symptomatic of the times we live in and the attitudes his work has displayed in the past (The Second Coming, mini-series with Chris Eccleston a few years ago). I was saddened though that the existence of God was never even suggested or considered - none of the crew members even prayed, which under stress like they were, wouldn't have been weird.

This isn't really new for Doctor Who, but has never been so explicit before: past stories with Devil figures always turned out to have some sci-fi explanation (The Daemons is a good example). Also, no previous doctor has been quite as arrogant as David Tennant's - I'd like to see them go somewhere with that, and there be a come-uppance of some kind. I'd love him to discover that his faith in humans is misplaced, and particularly his faith in Rose - that would be fantastic. What am I saying - that I want one of my childhood heroes to fail and fail abysmally??!! Yes, I think so - but it sounds shockingly like realistic sci-fi...

7 Comments:

  • At 7:18 am , Blogger Sarah said...

    Nice post. I missed the 2nd part so didn't know what had happened, and my children hadn't picked up on all of it to that extent. They did wonder why the devil was in it and not God though.

    I have to say I think I'm getting sick of the Doctor/Rose sexual chemistry as well, it's not exactly there but it is implied all the time imo, and that's just not how it was in the good old days.

     
  • At 8:13 pm , Blogger Mr Thomas said...

    Totally agree - didn't seem to have been as much of an issue when the Doctor was uglier last year!

     
  • At 8:41 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

    oh, now on that point I must beg to differ, I think Christopher Eccleston was much better looking than David Tennant is! Personal preference I suppose ;)

     
  • At 1:06 pm , Blogger praynlady said...

    I don't have time to watch shows anymore! lol I am always on the computer! I have started a new venture and hopefully will be sharing it with my blog friends in a bit! I hope you are all well and that all is going great for your summer! Take care!
    Colleen

     
  • At 4:32 am , Blogger Mr Thomas said...

    Ah, no, I chose my words very carefully there and said that only God could (OR will OR has) ULTIMATELY defeat Satan . I agree that, with faith in God and the knowledge that we are saved at our side, we need not be afraid of Satan at all and can in fact take ground for God against him.

    Re: does the Doctor have a soul? Tricky question, that. In that he's a fictional character, the most rational response is who cares, it's just TV anyway. But, if we want to get serious about it...

    No, I'm not that sad! Thanks for your comments guys, and it seems we've found a blog topic that we know you will comment on! Good to hear from you, and we have no problems whatsoever with being disagreed with!

     
  • At 12:46 pm , Blogger The inimitable Mrs T. said...

    I'm a bit late to the party here, but I have to have my say anyway (as usual!)

    re: Rose & the Doctor's 'chemistry' I was really annoyed by the kiss at the end of last season, I thought it was completely inconsistent, and pretty contrived (along with the rest of the season finale, but that's another rant!)and have been increasingly annoyed by the grabbing of hands and breathless running, mildly flirty banter, and tendency to place their friendship above all else. I'm most disturbed by the idea of the doctor being anything other than asexual myself, having found most other re-generations to be condescending and eccentric more than anything else!

    re: Doctor Who having a soul, I'm pretty intrigued by that thought, but whatever conclusion you come to on that one it doesn't change the fact that if you're talking about the possibility of him discovering the real God (rather than an alien/demon/superior race) that God created everything in existence, which means he's Lord of the Time Lords too.

    But then, this seems to be a bit of a trend with Doctor Who, to come up with a concept and then disregard those niggly details for the sake of a drmatic story (for instance, I thought the black hole had rejected the 'devil' once already?)

    Overall, I've been thoroughly disappointed with the second series. Despite being completely besotted with DT, I think they've not given him anything to do beyond rant about his moral authority - something they're laying on really thick, and which is blatantly going to be challenged in about 3 episodes' time!

    Also, I'm glad Billie piper is leaving. Although I think she's done a solid job, her character has been elevated too much to that of the Doctor's equal- hello, an uneducated, underprivileged teenage girl is not going to hold a candle to the intellect and experience of a 900-year-old Time Lord! There's equal rights, and then there's just plain stupidity...

     
  • At 2:47 pm , Blogger Nikki Mayfield said...

    Joining in really later here... did not see the episode in question as we'd got SO cheesed off with Dr Who this season - could not stand another episode with pouty Piper, or OTT Tennant (although agree with Heidi - he's the most yummy Dr so far!)

    I also have to agree with Rhiannon - why have they scheduled it over summer? Seems a little daft. Last year, in my opinion, was better, and i was more prepared to sacrifice a summers evening to view it - this year, no chance.

    I'm thrilled that Rose is being cut - super. Hope this improves things.......

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home