Spacebats

The thoughts, random or otherwise, of Mark and Heidi Thomas. Sometimes possibly Caleb and Elodie, depending on how much sense they are making.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Sleep deprivation

I know it's terribly domestic, but I just have to post about our ridiculous night/morning. We've blogged a lot about our lack of sleep these last few months, but since Caleb moved into a big bed things have become insane. Unluckily/luckily for us, Elodie is starting to be able to sleep through the night (luckily- there's an end in sight/unluckily- Caleb won't let her!) Last night though, Mark and I managed to really stuff them both up. The saga starts on Wednesday evening when Caleb woke up with a full-on cold, completely inconsolable. We got him up, gave him water, medicine, cuddles etc. but when we put him back to bed I went with him, and 'slept' on the spare mattress on his floor because he was still so upset. He's usually cheerful when he has a cold, but the accumulated tiredness of the last couple of months has just done him in. Well, I spent most of that night stroking his back, catching him before he got to our bedroom door, and cuddling him on the armchair in his room. By the time Mark's alarm went off , all four of us were snuggled up in the same bed!

Despite sleeping less than I did, Caleb was unable to drop off to sleep until 3.00 yesterday afternoon- which spelt disaster at bedtime on a housegroup night. So, I went upstairs to fine-tune my plan for the evening's worship and set the alarm for 4.00 so that I wouldn't let him sleep too long. Now, you can see where this is going can't you? Unfortunately I did not! Not only did I not re-set the alarm, I went to bed at the same time as the kids so I wasn't even reminded to when Mark flicked it on before he went to bed. The twist is, when Mark got out of bed at 4am to switch off his alarm, he stepped on a sleeping Caleb- who knows how long he'd been there! So, Caleb wakes up and Mark- believing it to be 6.30- just puts him in our bed for a cuddle. When I urge Mark to get up again so that he doesn't fall back to sleep he realises it's still the 'night' and gets back in to bed where we all start to drop off. Now, though, Elodie has been disturbed and feels she needs a drink, so we're all awake for real this time! By 5.00 all hell has broken loose, as Mark is attempting to get Caleb back in his own bed, I have settled Elodie back twice but have resorted to cuddling her in bed with me while Caleb kicks off, and we're all very confused about how we got into this mess...

Which is all just a long way of saying we're all knackered!

6 Comments:

  • At 12:24 pm , Blogger Nikki Mayfield said...

    Oh how well I know the nights of getting up, going back to sleep and being woken 10 minutes later - I REALLY feel for you all!

    Now that ours are a bit older though - things are SO much better, it's just that hearing this now doesn't help much I know. It will get better. You will sleep again!

     
  • At 3:56 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

    I'm with Nikki, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Hope tonight is much much better

     
  • At 5:46 pm , Blogger The inimitable Mrs T. said...

    The worst bit is that it was all down to our stupidity!

     
  • At 6:13 pm , Blogger wend said...

    heidi no fun si it, ive been up most nights for the past few weeks so know how it feels, though if you were on the outside it does sound all a bit comical doesnt it

     
  • At 6:36 pm , Blogger The inimitable Mrs T. said...

    You couldn't make it up!

     
  • At 6:37 pm , Blogger The inimitable Mrs T. said...

    Thanks for the sympathy everyone, I was mainly just sharing a silly story!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home