Spacebats

The thoughts, random or otherwise, of Mark and Heidi Thomas. Sometimes possibly Caleb and Elodie, depending on how much sense they are making.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Talking up my son

In the last two days Caleb has cracked me up, mostly by anticipating what I'm going to say to him and saying it for me. Yesterday when he was threatening to pinch food from my dinner plate he took one look at my face and went 'cheeky monkey!' then giggled and ran off. More impressive was this morning when we both recognised that he was on the brink of a tantrum, all I said was his name and he went 'calm down.' Disaster averted. Nice one.
Both Mark and I are fascinated and delighted by Caleb's language development, not too long ago it was an achievement if he came out with a single new word, now he can say a complete phrase or express a thought quite clearly using words we've never heard from him before, or in new ways. Like just now as I was suggesting some things he might like for lunch: 'bin your raisins.' Enough said. Apparantly toddlers don't start putting 2 words together until they have a vocabulary of over a hundred words (so Matt B. said to us the other day) This doesn't really surprise me since Caleb can list off a great number of Star Wars characters alone! (We're very proud of that by the way: from Anakin to Yoda, taking in the likes of Greedo, Jar jar and- my personal favourite- Bib Fortuna.)
It's amazing to think that only 2 years ago, he was as helpless as Elodie is right now. It happens so quickly. Sniff sniff...

1 Comments:

  • At 5:28 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

    Great post - seems like ages since we saw you, he really wasn't talking all that much in December - can't wait for 16th July now!

    I would be proud of the Star Wars thing if I were you, too :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home